Date(s) - 04/14/2018
10:00 am - 4:00 pm
We have distilled 20 years of welding and fabrication experience into six classes.
This is introductory, foundational coursework for novice and intermediate metalworkers. We offer advanced and ongoing classes for complex subjects like TIG.
Each class in the Boot Camp is offered for $160.00. It is taught every Saturday from 10:00 A.M. to 4 P.M. with a lunch break.
We no longer offer the group of classes bundled under one price as this leads to an excessive rescheduling burden.
Please purchase tickets online and 24 hours in advance.
We provide all equipment required. We provide materials for curriculum based projects. The class does not support individual project work.
Minors 16 y.o. and up may attend.
Classes will balance theory with hands on practice. Our goal is to help you develop proficiency with the tools of metalwork in the most concise and effective way possible. We emphasize hands-on practice. Most classes are at least 50% hands on.
In this class we will cover:
- Abrasive saw selection and safety
- Use of the abrasive saw, make sparks the old fashioned way.
- Bandsaws, versus abrasive saws, strengths and weaknesses.
- Cutting aluminum on conventional woodworking equipment.
- Tuning and maintaining your saws
- Metalworking equipment you have never seen before, nibblers and carbide saws.
- Making accurate cuts to length.
- Your lower back and metal, how to maintain a delicate relationship over time.
- Feed and speed, understanding how cutting tools work, and what breaks them.
- Things that don’t work, equipment not to buy, expensive mistakes to avoid.
- Shearing and parting, cheap fast and perfect, the trifecta of cutting.
- Basic layout techniques
- Project planning, how to buy materials and used equipment as cheaply as possible.
- Time allowing we will make a small star by, variously, cutting, shearing, welding, and grinding 16 gauge steel.
This class is taught at Hazardfactory, a 3000 sq ft working industrial arts studio in south Seattle. We are firmly committed to offering the highest quality instruction of this type. We offer a safe, actively supportive, ism-free working environment.
Bookings are closed for this event.